Sunday, November 04, 2007

Conference check-in

I don't really know what to say here, but for: I heart bloggers. I have met some seriously fabulous bloggy folk on this trip (Margo, darling, I'm looking at you), and had an amazing night over much wine with Feral Mom of Gone Feral last night. Such good conversations about blogs/blogging with her. I feel content (also tired and a wee bit hung over and confused about what time it is because I forgot until just now that there was a time change last night, am I right? But no matter - content!).

The conference has been pretty great - I am always a fan of this event. And out of it has come a wonderful contact, who had actually read my dissertation! Good god. Who reads your dissertation?! (Her PhD advisor was the external examiner at my defense, and had passed on my diss, that's why.) Anyway, she has and she's great, and she and I have also had the co-editorship of a volume of essays fall into our laps! Which is pretty great...one of the things I included in my list of goals for this academic year was to decide whether to edit a volume. I'd been thinking not, regretfully, because I know it's a huge amount of work, and that I should be focusing on getting this monograph written. But for this, there's already a publisher and I can share the load with someone else, so it's fab. I am way into collaborative work. I'm pretty excited about this project. And we will meet up at this conference next fall, and I suggested that we might work there on starting to draft the introduction. That's a fun thing to look forward to. It is perhaps overly optimistic of me to be this excited about working with someone I just met and don't know at all well, but I have a gut feeling that it is going to work out very well.

And today my friend from Home City and I are going out with a rental car to explore this crazy city. I am looking so forward to that.

4 comments:

heu mihi said...

Wow! Congratulations on the co-editorship! And I'm glad that you're having a good weekend--you deserve one.

Anonymous said...

Goodness, that sounds like the perfect conference!

And yes, the time did change last night -- you get one extra hour in the day, which helps on the day after travel.

medieval woman said...

Omigod that's GREAT! You are just so multi-talented it hurts, dearie!

I'm finally emailing you back!!

Have a great rest of your conference!

Feral Mom said...

It was so great to meet you! I was surprised by the time change, as well, but mostly pleasantly surprised. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in L.A. and safe travels home. Thanks again for an awesome evening.