Monday, July 23, 2007

Almost there

God, do the days ever run together when you drive for so long. I have a hard time figuring out which day it is, what time it is, where I am, where I was, and when I was there...

But what I do know is that the last leg of our journey is tomorrow...by late afternoon or early evening, I'll be in Scary City. (Still need to find new name for SC - I'm working on it!) I'll pick up the keys to my place, dump off the oodles of stuff in the car (clothes, food, random weirdnesses I forgot to pack) and go out to buy some household essentials. Wednesday, the movers arrive.

I have the oddest feeling. Of not being able to see or imagine a future. This is because I can't, beyond the next few days; I have nary a plan, for weeks to come. (Besides unpacking, and working, of course...) I haven't a clue what my future looks like - in the short term or the long term. Oh sure, I know vague generalities like "I'll start teaching on September 6" and "R is coming to visit on August 24." But I have no idea what life, real everyday life, will look like.

This isn't a bad thing. It just is. And I don't recall ever having felt anything like it before. In that sense, it's quite liberating, actually. I could reinvent myself. I won't, completely, of course. But knowing that I could is an interesting feeling, indeed.

No comments: