Sunday, May 27, 2007

Yay!

I am pleased. As much as I try not to be a running obsessive, and don't let myself fall over the edge into worrying much about numbers like heart rates and race times and kilometre paces, I did have a goal for my half-marathon this morning. And I realized as I ran how very badly I wanted to meet it. I did want to come in under 2 hours - that's all I really cared about. And I did - I came in at 1:57:12. In the top quarter in my age category, and the top fifth of women overall. So I am pleased.

Especially seeing as how I've been secretly battling a cold for the last three weeks - about which I haven't blogged because I haven't wanted to really admit it. But I've been stuffing myself with Cold FX, appearing to get rid of it and then having it come back, for weeks. And yesterday it really started to come back in a big way. So I ran this morning with a sore, swollen throat and on tylenol because I felt chilled and...just kind of bad...

It was very cool and there was a light-medium, steady rain for the second hour. It was really refreshing conditions. And now I am done. Hooray! And I have my eye on the half-marathon in Scary City in early October...

*

And tomorrow morning I have to get up at 4am to fly to the Congress in Saskatoon...yuck. I am flying from Ottawa to Toronto, where I am changing planes. My close friend M, who is one of my two co-panelists (the other is my colleague, C), is flying in from another city and meeting me at the Toronto airport - we will fly the leg to Saskatoon together. We have 3 1/2 hours from when our flight lands to when our panel begins. So, blogosphere friends...please send "no delay!!!" energy the way of M and I and our flight...let's not even talk about how bad a significant delay would be...

And once that damned panel is over, I will be so, so happy. I am so underwhelmed by my paper. I am hoping nobody comes to our panel, which is terrible of me. I see that the competing panels might be more interesting to the breed of conference participants who will be there. But then C is a pretty big name, and M's paper is provocative, so that is a draw to ours. Oh, fret, fret. Please to also send "the panel will be great" vibes our way!

Tomorrow night: dinner with M and C - I'm so excited for them to meet; they have some intirguing similarities and differences in their work - and much wine. And finally relaxing after this crazy race weekend and panel nonsense!

3 comments:

Tiruncula said...

Yay for a good run! Boo for cold. All appropriate vibes vibing your way.

Earnest English said...

I'm sending all sorts of good vibes your way, Hilaire! And all I can say to your half-marathon: AMAZING! AND with a half-cold. Brava! (Are you sure it's not allergies with a secondary infection? That turned out to be the case with my last cold-that-won't-seem-to-go-away.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the half!