Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A blogiversary

Hey, today is my one-year blog annniversay.

I started this blog last year on the Monday of a fricking insanely freezing Victoria Day weekend, as I was coming down with a bad cold. I'd wandered into the blogosphere by chance - the first blog I stumbled across was Sfragett's - and loved what I read there every day. After about six weeks of reading, I decided to create my own. I sent fan letters to Maggie and Flavia informing them of my devotion and my new blog. And that was the beginning.

It's been fantastic. I've now met four of you in person. I've made a close friendship with one. I've even gotten new-to-me furniture out of it all! I've had so much support from all of you, and learned a hell of a lot, too. Your advice is always spot on. You are funny and wise.

When I started this endeavour, I was self-conscious - anonymity didn't prove freeing, necessarily. For the first few months, I fretted about what I was writing. I don't anymore - I consider that a victory.

Also, those first few months were characterized by a lot of long, weighty posts on "issues." I don't do that anymore, really. I am not sure why not - probably because the issue posts were my reaction to feeling self-conscious.

I still don't write much about my day-to-day life - my errands and administrivia and social life - because I think those kinds of blogs demand a humour my writing doesn't have. But I do get a lot from ruminating on my work life and occasionally on my personal life - and from hearing what you have to say.

Sigh. I had planned a longer, weightier post than this, but it's been a long day: up at 7, newspaper and tidying and breakfast, grading a leftover student paper, long dog walk, a phone chat with friend M about our conference panel next week (while I ate lunch - how rude of me), yard work, run, more yard work, another dog walk. At least it was almost all outside in the sunshine. And now shortly I'm off (with ex-GF, who else?) to have a bite to eat and see another screening at the queer film festival. So the more thoughtful post about what this means will have to wait, possibly for quite a while.

But I just wanted to say thanks to all of you folks and how happy I am that I found this little slice of the cyber-world.

12 comments:

Pantagruelle said...

Happy Blogoversary,
Happy Blogoversary to you,
Happy Blogoversary dear Hilaire,
Happy Blogoversary to you!!! :-)

I've really enjoyed reading you this past year and look forward to your posts over the coming year too...

Pantagruelle said...

PS - Enjoy the queer film fest! I can't wait til it makes its circuit from your city to mine later this year... It's always a highlight of my year.

Flavia said...

Happy blogiversary!

I'm happy you found us, or we found you, too. The blogosphere is a better place with you in it.

Dr. Crazy said...

Happy Blogiversary! I'm so glad you're here and I really enjoy reading what you have to write, whatever it is you choose to write about :)

(And thanks for the compliment - sometimes I don't know whether I'm funny to others or just to my self-absorbed self :) )

Tiruncula said...

Many happy returns of the day! I'm glad you're out there in blogland and am happy to be among the Favo(u)red Four.

Marcelle Proust said...

Joyeux blogiversaire et meilleurs voeux.

squadratomagico said...

Happy Blogiversary, Hilaire!

grumpyABDadjunct said...

Many happy returns!

Anonymous said...

Happy blogiversary! It's been so lovely to read your blog this year, and I look forward to your continuing adventures!

Margaret said...

Happy happy blogiversary! Your writing is so lovely and graceful, Hilaire, and I am so happy that I've been able to get to know you through your blog this year!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogiversary!

Bardiac said...

Happy Blog-day!