Friday, May 04, 2007

Friday recipe blogging: pasta with asparagus & lemon

I am just obsessed with asparagus these days. I eat it nearly every day. My usual M.O. is just to quickly roast it in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and have it with salad. But I've made a couple of lovely pasta recipes using asparagus lately. I made this one a couple of weekends ago...it was delighfully simple. And quite wonderful. It's from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics.

PASTA WITH ASPARAGUS & LEMON

Serves 6.
Time: 35 minutes

1 1/2 pounds asparagus
1 pound penne or casarecce pasta
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil for the pasta.

Meanwhile, rinse the asparagus, snap off the tough lower stems, and discard them. Cut off 1 1/2 inches of the asparagus tops and reserve. Chop the rest of the stems. Cook the asparagus tips in boiling water to cover for 3 or 4 minutes, until tender. Remove to a colander with a slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pot blanch the chopped asparagus stems for 6 or 7 minutes, until tender. Drain, rinse in cold water, and reserve separately.

Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente. While the pasta cooks, puree the asparagus stems, lemon juice, and olive oil in a blender or food processor until smooth. If necessary, add a little of the hot pasta water. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Drain the pasta and transfer it a large bowl. Stir in the asparagus puree, the asparagus tips, and the grated cheese. If the pasta has cooled, stir it in a pot on high heat for 1 or 2 minutes, until hot. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

heu mihi said...

Oh I make this recipe ALL THE TIME!! I love it. Sometimes, when I feel the need for more colorful food, I put some raw tomato bits on it.

Only when I make it, it serves 1, not 6. Well, okay, it serves this 1 for maybe 3 meals, but still.

Hilaire said...

OMG - you and me both. I got three servings out of it, too!