Monday, November 03, 2008

Random bullets of "christ, what a day"

- I have been led to believe that the plagiarism of the MA thesis may be met with a warning letter, and that is all??? I weep, I tell you. And gnash my teeth. I want out. Everything to do with graduate studies at this institution makes my eyes bug out of my head with frustration and anger.

- Today after my 100-person lecture, a student came to talk to me. Zie is one who is very vocal in lectures and yet usually just. not. getting. it. - so much so that you can hear the other students buzzing with frustration and amusement when zie speaks up. So zie came up to me to take me to task for representing [topic I was lecturing about, and about which they had a reading] in what zie took to be politically neutral terms. Since this is a topic that zie is impassioned by, zie thought this was inappropriate. Thing is, zie didn't have a clue what I'd been saying. The reading was an indictment of [phenomenon], and offered a framework for understanding it. My lecture and this reading - which zie admitted to not having read - were littered with signals that problematized the phenomenon I was talking about, including words like "racism." The way I was framing it theoretically was as intensely, well, evil. This was the whole point of the discussion! Other students were on the same page, I could tell from their responses to my questions. Therefore I don't think I was being unclear; I was calling a spade a spade about [phenomenon.] So this one comes up to me and starts to lecture me about this thing!!! Give me a break!! I had to say, over and over, "We're on the same page. I agree with you. That's exactly the point I was making." I don't know why I found this so irritating. But good lord, to be called to task for saying the opposite of what you're actually saying is really freaking irksome. Go away!!

- While all the rest of you do InNaNo-whatever-it's called, I have my own writing goals. I mean, I have some professional writing I need to do - I'm halfway through a conference paper for next week - and I have some editing of contributions to our edited volume. But I don't need any more scholarly pressure or I will implode, quite frankly. So for me this November, the goal is to begin writing in my journal several times a week. I need to do life writing more than anything right now. This represents a big shift for me. In 2001 my now-ex, JZ, read my journal and I had hell to pay. Though I'd been journalling for over a decade by then, that violation shut me down completely. I basically haven't touched it since. But I bought a new one this weekend. I'm so, so in need of unstructured writing that will allow me to work some things out, I tell you. I am in some serious need of real rumination on a number of issues. And since I think through writing, then personal writing it will be.

- My life is a bit sordid right now. My best friend M and I were talking yesterday about how sordid both of our lives are. I thought it would make a good, depressing film, featuring exhausted, bored-but-overworked, emotionally aimless junior professors in their thirties doing stupid things for the hell of it. I know you can picture it - though you probably wouldn't go see it.

7 comments:

Brigindo said...

Good for you to pick the journaling back up. That sounds like my worst nightmare. It is already hard for me to believe in the sacredness of my journal and no one has ever even attempted to read it -- or shown any interest.

I hope it goes well for you.

PG said...

Yeah - that would be a pretty depressing movie. I may go back to see ths sequel...hoping that it would be more uplifting.

Can you pull rank in any way and refuse to pass the candidate if major revisions aren't made?

There are a lot of vocal ignorant people in the world...I would tell zie to not come and preach to you without even having done the readings. I had a student preaching to me about my tests and I finally said, "look, if you choose not to come to classes and labs, you lose the right to claim that material wasn't covered". I know your situation is different - but same base of complaining without understanding due to a lack of effort.

medieval woman said...

Ugh - that sounds so annoying! This person obviously thought they knew so much about the topic (through myosis?) that they didn't need to read about it or theorize it. I hate that crap...

I would see the movie if there were Goobers...

grumpyABDadjunct said...

A warning letter?! Can you withdraw from the committee? Because that's ridiculous.

Hilaire said...

Don't worry, folks - there's no way I'm staying on this committee if it is allowed to continue. There's no way I could evaluate the candidate after this. I just think it's WRONG. I'll make an enemy, if that happens, but so be it.

What Now? said...

I'm so glad to hear about the new journal -- that sounds like one of the most positive things to happen in your life lately -- what a healthy, positive step!

Psych Post Doc said...

I can't believe a letter will the only consequence, that is insane.

I'm glad you picked up the journal and I hope the writing really does give you the inner piece you need.