Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Plagiarism and grants

The number of hours I am spending catching plagiarism is bringing me down so, so much. It is happening sooooo often. Even on assignments that are supposed to be relatively plagiarism-proof. They're spending so much freaking time plagiarizing creatively that they might as well write the damned thing. Really, it's unimaginable how much of this I'm finding...I have a growing pile of photocopies of plagiarized documents - starting with this infamous one, of course - on my desk. The size of the pile - and the number of hours I spend on this - is really too, too dispiriting.

*

In other news, though, I've been awarded an internal grant that will fund a month in Paris in the spring/summer, even if I don't get my SSHRC. Hooray!

7 comments:

Marcelle Proust said...

Congratulations on the grant. Give your classes a come-to-Jesus talk. Tell them the grading isn't going quickly because you're spending your time documenting plagiarism and if they want feedback they should just do the work. Make them write more in class (has to be original and then you don't have to write lectures). Take hot baths. Be good to yourself. And play the hand you get dealt: if it includes tumors and operations, then for pete's sake, take the course release and the sympathy that come with that! The silver lining may be tiny compared to the cloud, but grab what silver you can get.

I hope I'm not hectoring you when you're down. I'll slink away quietly now.

Belle said...

Congrats on the grant! A month in Paris - can I hide in your suitcase?

As to the plagiarism, god help you. Nail 'em hard.

incalculable said...

Ugh, I can so relate to the miserable scourge that plagiary brings to marking (which is already painful enough, imho). I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with this too. I just wasted half my day on a couple of [expletive] plagiarists. One of them will fail the course, and the other will pass... marginally. Not sure what part of: "you will be caught and severely punished" these students don't understand.

grumpyABDadjunct said...

Oh god, the plagiarism. And the bought papers, too. Ugh. I'm thinking of going all-exam next term.

Fantastic news about the grant! Get healthy and get thyself to Paris.

K said...

Congrats on the grant!

I agree with Belle--nail the plagiarists to the wall.

Maude said...

hmmm, if belle's hiding in your suitcase, can i hide in a carryon? (not that i'm that small, but i'll start working on my contortionism).

CONGRATULATIONS on the grant! you need some positive news.

ditto to belle and k.

What Now? said...

Hilaire -- I'm so happy to hear about the good grant news! 2009 is already looking better than 2008. And I'm also pleased to read (in your previous post) that you're having the surgery in January instead of waiting. Hurrah for a supportive Chair and for your decision to prioritize your health!