Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Wow, and whoa

Congrats and a major hug and smile for all my US friends who helped to elect Barack Obama last night. I'm so thrilled for you all.

*

Someone I know has just emailed me to strongly encourage me to apply for a seriously Fancy-Pants position. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What?! I'd seen the ad for this job, at an institution I'd die to work at - in the city where my best friend lives, as well as a past and current object of romantic interest - and written it off because they seemed to be looking for a much more senior scholar than I. I hoped that - as I'd heard - they might post a more appropriate position in my area next year, and that I'd have a shot at it.

But then today this email from a senior insider there, saying I'd be a super candidate. Encouraging me to call hir to talk about the position. I'm pretty stunned. Knowing a bit about the politics there, I'm just hoping that zie doesn't want to suggest me because I'd be a good puppet for hir. I'll try to suss that out when we talk.

But for now, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

K said...

That is so awesome about the potential new job! Perhaps the new presidency heralds positive new changes for you as well.

Fingers crossed for you!
K

Thoroughly Educated said...

Whoa indeed! So exciting! Apply! Politics aside, it sounds like it would be a great move in terms of location and step up in the profession, so I'd say go for it.

Belle said...

Wonderful! Apply! How cool would that be! What a lovely way to start a day.

Sisyphus said...

Go go go go! Apply, apply! Even if you were a puppet, it would be at a school and city you love instead of where you are! And you're already at the "we know you, let's make some phone calls" stage. Yay!

Michael LeVan said...

Definitely go for it. This could be the turning point for you. Well, just thinking about a positive future is an amazing turning point. Whoa!!

medieval woman said...

AWESOME! Totally apply and get the hell out of there...

YAY for all of us!!

Susan said...

The rule when you are invited to apply is to do so, unless you really wouldn't take the job. But you can also begin your letter something like, "I am writing at the urging of Prof. X to apply for your position..."
It's possible that the person who contacted you thinks that if you apply this year they could get both the very senior and less senior appointments at once... Or that budgetary constraints may push them to a more junior appointment.

Hilaire said...

Thanks, all. I am going to apply. I had a long phone convo with the person yesterday. Part of me is torn about the position - it's being a Chair, essentially - but part of me thinks I can't look away from the opportunity. It is clear, though, that it remains a very long shot. But I have been urged by a couple of people to remember that these things often play out in highly unexpected ways.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten about the fact that the person who has urged me to apply is on sabbatical this year, so is not on the hiring committee. Damn. Still, zie thinks that the chips might fall in my favour, for a bunch of reasons I won't get into.

Susan - Your second scenario is quite plausible, I think. In talking to my best friend (who works at the same uni), he outlined a scenario wherein my "cheapness" - and youth - relative to the bigwigs makes me attractive in a bad economic climate for the uni.

Feral Mom said...

My spidey senses are tingling on this one. Apply.
!!!!!!