That is, damn, I wish I could find the time to blog properly about some substantive issues that I've been thinking about, especially coming off Congress. But I seem to be swamped with yard care/course design/apartment-hunting/shagging-my-ex-GF responsibilities.
So how about some bullets?
- Last night, went to the film Once. Goodness, what a lovely film. I just loved it. I am not usually a fan of the musical -- but this one, oof. It was just pure pleasure. I urge you to see it, if you are fan of loveliness. The woman in it, Marketa Irglova, is so compelling, I felt as if I could watch her forever. And I loved the music, and will buy the soundtrack.
- I think ex-Gf and I may as well call ourselves GFs again. We are spending an awful lot of time together. It is just lovely. There is much more to say about that, but it will have to wait. Let's just say that there's a lot to think about. A lot.
- I ate delicious cheese this weekend - Pierre Robert. Mmm...
- On Friday I made the largest, most adult purchases I have ever made...new furniture. I bought this sofa and this chair (which is bizarrely, insanely the most comfortable chair I've ever sat in, I think) both in a colour called new leaf green, microfibre, with some very bold and textured accent pillows in brown with leaf-greenish accents. I had been waiting for my tax return to come so that I could go shopping for these things I'd had my heart set on since last November. They will be delivered to my new home in Scary City at the end of July. I shall buy the rest of the things I need - including a bed - at IKEA.
- I have clearly been wanting to build a nest, since I went crazy on Ebay and bought two antique tablecloths, some antique linen napkins, and a really bizarre embroidered table runner from the 20s, with royal blue satin roosters and dragons on it. (?) I don't usually think much about table linens; I don't know what came over me.
- Oh, yes, the nesting desire. But there is still no home to roost in. I cannot believe the bad luck I am still having with this housing search. I am leaving for Scary City tomorrow, and have only managed to set up two housing viewings. Since for the most part, nobody calls me back! There was supposed to be a third, tomorrow afternoon - a place I was really interested in - but I got a call last night saying that, too, had already been rented. What the hell? I don't get it. I feel as if someone is trying to tell me something, now that I've had five places fall through, and nobody deigning to even phone me back.
So I'm worried that I'm going to have to settle for a place I don't really like. For instance, one of the two places I'm looking at is a basement. (I wouldn't have called, but the ad conveniently didn't mention that, and it didn't become apparent to me until our conversation was nearly over!) And I am already starting to call about places with carpeting - that was my one no-no. I hate carpeting. But I am feeling desperate, so off I go to call the carpet-having landlords. Very big sigh. I really wanted this housing search to work out well -- I'm so unhappy about moving to this city, I really wanted to be able to find a place I could comfortably call home. It seems like that may have been too tall an order.
So yes, off tomorrow. Please send good housing vibes my way!!