Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday Recipe Blogging: Best Banana Muffins

OK, so what is it about being at home - cleaning floors, and doing laundry - on a Friday night that I like so much? I think it's that I'm here alone...GF is out at a party to which we were both invited, where neither of us really knows anyone. I said, "uh gee, sounds like a barrel of laughs, but no thanks", knowing that I always like the Friday-night-at-home-alone thing -- even with housework, which I don't generally like. Although I don't have a regular 9-5 workweek, the world's appreciation of Friday nights definitely factors in to this - it feels like stolen time, or holiday...

So I'll also blog tomorrow's breakfast, these muffins This is my standby muffin recipe - when I first discovered it, I made it at least once a week. So, so delicious. It takes about two seconds and uses things I always have on hand (including a freezer full of bananas). It's adapted from The New Lighthearted Cookbook, by Anne Lindsay, which is generally a pretty blah and uninspiring "heart healthy" cookbook - but for these.

WHOLE WHEAT BANANA BRAN MUFFINS

NOTES: I always use three good-sized bananas, and always from the freezer (I thaw them in fridge overnight or microwave on the day). I think this ends up being a fair amount more than the recipe calls for, and is what makes these so moist and yum! Also, my oven bakes these in 18 minutes, not 25. Watch out!

3/4 cup wheat bran
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup mashed banana (remember, 3 bananas!!)
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk or plain, low-fat yogurt
1/2 cup canola oil

In bowl, combine bran, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda; mix well. Add bananas, egg, buttermilk or yogurt, and oil; stir until just combined.

Spoon batter into paper-lined or nonstick muffin tins. Bake in 400 degree F oven for 25 minutes or until firm to the touch.

Makes 12 muffins.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum! I haven't baked a muffin in a month of Sundays - these look so easy, too!

I'm glad that you're posting recipes as well - I think I might try your plum cake this weekend for our friends!

Hilaire said...

The plum cake was really good...just a little drier than I had expected. I'd be generous with the plums and watch the time in the oven - I think mine cooked for a few minutes too long (I have a hot oven , I think!). Also, maybe go light on the dry ingredients just to make sure.

Texter said...

yum. i love wheat bran.
for some reason, I'm not drawn to eating bananas - I buy them, I like them theoretically, but I can't really eat one fully, so they end up blackened and in freezer as well. So, this is a great recipe.
I wrote it down and will try it tout suite.

Hilaire said...

Yeah, bananas are funny. I can't eat a banana by itself. (Though I do cut them up and have them in yogurt with other fruit - that is my regular breakfast.) Go figure. Anyway, hope you enjoy the muffins - we did, this morning!