Friday, September 08, 2006

A Friday night meme

Like last week, I have the luxury of being home alone on a Friday night...Like last week, I chose not to accompany GF to a party full of people I wouldn't know, this time annoying film people, which would make me want to poke my eyes out. I know this, having gone to this annual party before and having had an excrutiating time.

Instead, before I eat corn on the cob and clean my floors, I will do this nice little meme I saw at New Kid on the Hallway's.

1. Three things that scare me:
- dragonflies
- bears
- ghost stories

2. Three people who make me laugh:
- My girlfriend
- My best friend, S
- My good friend, A, who should be doing standup instead of teaching pubescent kids - although I guess hilariousness does come in handy in that job...

3. Three things I hate the most:
- People parking or driving in bicycle lanes
- People who pretend they've never met you when they've met you, like, twenty times
- Lying to get ahead

4. Three things I don't understand:
- the theory of relativity
- why people don't get that oil is a finite resource
- hateful opposition to same-sex marriage

5. Three things I'm doing right now:
- looking through my excellent pile of mail from today - new Harper's, my subscription tickets to Dance Company, membership card for political organization I joined almost three years ago, (and never got the card until today)
- deciding what to wear to wedding tomorrow
- fretting about money after pricey vet visit today and in advance of motel stay/car rental for wedding tomorrow (don't get paid for three weeks)

6. Three things I want to do before I die:
- visit New Zealand
- tell my father I love him
- learn not to be mean to my mother

7. Three things I can do:
- several obscure dance forms
- swim fast
- speak French

8. Three ways to describe my personality:
- accommodating
- worried
- enthusiastic

9. Three things I can't do:
- type using more than four fingers (though I still do it fast)
- climb things
- pronounce my own name quite properly (since it is from a language I don't speak)

10. Three things I think you should listen to:
- Neko Case's latest album, Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
- Stephen Lewis's 2005 Massey Lectures on AIDS in Africa, Race Against Time
- the thoughts of lonely relatives who don't have many people to talk to

11. Three things you should never listen to:
- people who are jealous of you
- the discourses of right-wing extremists
- that song that was out in 2001 that went, "Come my lady, come come my lady, you're my butterfly..." - oh, apparently it's called Butterfly, by Crazy Town. Ew [chokes].

12. Three things I'd like to learn:
- German
- Latin
- how to do handy things around the house

13. Three favorite foods:
- mushrooms
- stinky, soft, ripe cheeses - especially sheep or goat
- mango (and all fruits)

14. Three beverages I drink regularly:
- water
- black tea
- that's all I drink day-to-day...next would be various forms of alcohol, I guess

15. Three shows I watched as a kid:
- Gilligan's Island
- Charlie's Angels
- Hammy Hamster

Bonus round!
16. Three things I have on my desk:
- a map of Home City
- a pile of photos of the dog
- a shocking bill for my new cell phone

17. Three things I am grateful for:
- my GF
- my upbringing
- my wonderful new job

2 comments:

Texter said...

Hi, thanks for the meme. I'm home tonight too, but after 6 hrs working my second job, so I'm exhausted. So, what if your "lonely relatives" are also "extreme right-wingers"?

ps. I bought all the ingredients for the muffins... I'll try them tomorrow morning!
pp. cell phones are so expensive!

Hilaire said...

Texter - you're so right, of course. Many of those lonely relatives are right-wing nutjobs. I was thinking of the good it did me and him to have lunch with my lonely, eccentric (non-right-wing) uncle on Friday...he needs to chat. I'm full of emotion about that one - blogging it will probably be good.