Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Bugging me today

Wow, I'm grumpy today. Lucky you - would you like to hear about what's bugging the hell out of me:

- The fact that I thought it would be much easier to get around in Home City on crutches than it is.
- People who send you constant unsolicited emails talking about how happy they are you're coming, how they want to hang out with you all the time, and then never reply when, last Friday, you email saying, "Do you want to get together on Tuesday evening?" and you hold Tuesday evening open for them - even though there are a lot of other people you could be seeing in your limited time in Home City - and finally end up doing nothing at all on Tuesday evening.
- Paltry transit expenditures.
- Sentences that have no referent - and having to read, for your work, multiple essays by the "important" critic who uses them all. the. time.
- Studied obscurantism.
- Gloomy days.
- Sore throats.
- Being in the way.
- My own forgetfulness in matters on which I am supposed to be working with others.

5 comments:

medieval woman said...

All those things are highly annoying!

You sound like you need a hug, some wine, and yummy cheese or something...

((Hilaire))

That's one down!

Pantagruelle said...

(((Hilaire)))

And that's two down!

I'm definitely with you on bullet point #2 since I effectively did the same thing for Wednesday (today). Why can't people just reply back with a "no" and some lame excuse rather than not responding at all and leaving one hanging?

Sisyphus said...

Hmm, would a present help to cheer you up? You have hereby been Awarded the Internet! Or something. Come see --- it's over at my place.

grumpyABDadjunct said...

So that book I found sounds like a real irritant, sorry! Today will be sunny, enjoy it with or without a referent.

Hilaire said...

Thanks, all.

GAA - Oh, he's a terrible writer - but the one essay is about EXACTLY what I am writing about. Exactly! So it's great that you found it - it's just made me meditate on what is considered acceptable academic writing!