Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Couple crush

Sigh.

Today I fell in love (in a manner of speaking).

Remember this guy? I was put in touch with him back in May, and he was so up my alley and so freaking welcoming that he suddenly made me feel a whole lot better about the move here? I finally met him and his little family today. He and I had been emailing intermittently, and he - just about the sweetest person on the planet, it seemed to me - kept telling me how excited they were that I was coming. But they have been away in Home Area, so I haven't had a chance to meet them until now. They got back yesterday.

Today he emailed me telling me once again how excited they are that I'm here, saying they'd heard all manner of nice things about me from their friend D. (What a nice thing that was to hear!) Shortly afterward they phoned me for a spontaneous little date...we went to the art organization whose Board he sits on, and he introduced me to the person who runs it. Wanting me, already, to join the Board. Then we went for yummy food, he and his lovely, lovely partner and their daughter, and their good friend D, who is my new friend, too - D's the one I had a drink with last week, who showed me the cycling route to campus on the weekend.

I lurve them. Oh my freaking goodness, do I love them. Not only are they the loveliest, most generous people - full of offers to help me, to lend me their car, to hang out, to introduce me to people - but they each do work that overlaps with mine in different ways. And have the same kinds of interests around pedagogy and politics and and and...

It's not often one feels this kind of immediate click with people, especially as one gets older. (One, eh?) How excited am I for this friendship to develop? And how wonderful to know that I will have this here, in City with Potential, no matter what else happens here...

4 comments:

grumpyABDadjunct said...

This is such a great thing to have happen! It makes even the crappiest situation look better when you have interesting, like-minded people to share it with. And your situation is by no means crappy, but it had the potential to be so.

Earnest English said...

YAY!!! It's so important to have community! Sounds like you've got some great seeds with these people!

Woohooo!

PG said...

Sounds like a great match. I find that it's very rare to meet people that you can click with right away. Often, it seems to be because people are wrapped up in their own worlds and are not always receptive.

heu mihi said...

That's great! CwP sounds wonderful. And I love the pictures of your apartment from a few days back--so soothing! I can imagine being very calm and productive in that space.