Remember how I mentioned a few months back, when I was negotiating my new job, that I would be buying a condo?
Well, I'm not.
I did in the end find a realtor who would deign to work with impoverished little me in the ridiculously hot market I'm moving to. And I wrapped my head around the ridiculous fact of the condos there not accepting dogs - I got used to the idea of living without Mr. K, of leaving him with ex-GF.
But as the real search approached - I would have started it in earnest in the next couple of weeks - I felt increasingly nervous. I just didn't feel good about it. It was a confluence of too many factors: money, my being in debt, my being an idiot with money overall - all those related factors were near the top of the list. It's true that I can rent a decent place for a couple of hundred dollars less per month than a mortgage and condo fees would cost me. There were other factors that were just as important, though...the fact that I would be doing this alone, in a place that I really don't know, and doing it from afar. Plus, my doing this was conditional on my borrowing the closing costs - $3000-5000 - from ex-GF. She insisted it was fine, but I was concerned...All of these factors were giving me knots in my stomach.
My mother, who had already generously given me her half of the loan I was taking from my parents, was very patient with me. She told me to go with my gut. I fought with my gut for a while, and then gave in. No condo for me. Not now. Maybe next spring, when I'm in a better position...by then I'll know the city, I'll have a sense of the market, I'll have a sense of whether I in fact want to stay there longer than the 2-3 years I have in mind right now.
Each of the "elders" to whom I've announced my decision not to buy has been amazingly supportive, and even relieved. Last week, I had dinner with my former PhD supervisor, and when I told her - she was the first I'd told - she was delighted. She said she hadn't wanted to rain on my parade when I'd announced to her that I was planning to buy, but that she had been concerned. It was amazing - her relief was palpable. My father was also relieved, though he said he'd still have been prepared to give me the loan - and will be, when I do decide to do it. Even my mother, who seemed most excited about the whole thing, said she thought that it was probably for the best.
Whew. That was a close one. So now I'm already starting to scan rental ads, just to get a sense of the rental situation out there. It's all a bit dire. There are few rentals in the one area I'd like to live in. But then I saw this small house, available soon. Good lord, how cute! And though I don't plan to move until August, I'd be willing to pay rent on this place for three months before that in order to end up with a sweet little cottage in the area that would make me happy. After all, I'm housesitting for the next three months, and not paying rent...So I've made an inquiry. Even if nothing comes of it, at least I know that there is some potential there.