Monday, August 25, 2008

Back

I'm back in Scary City.

I am finished with IV antiobiotics and onto a week of pills, but not over the exhaustion caused by that ordeal: I went to ER for this 5 late nights in a row, since I was supposed to get them every 24 hours and the first dose had been given at about 2 in the morning. So I spent 2-3 hours in Emergency every night (though didn't go as late as the first time!), and then cabbed home, comatose. I am so sleep-deprived. So freaking depressed. I feel robbed of my last week in Home City. Also, other bad things happened last week.

And now I'm back here, as of today. Great. I sat on my couch and immediately became itchy. It was crawling with tiny ants, which had come over from an infested plant. Nice. Welcome home.

And with the crushing weight of the new year upon me. Thank goodness I have another week until it really starts up. But since I didn't get any work done last week because of the arm, I am appallingly behind on everything. And I feel a strong sense of dread about the prospect of the overwhelm. In retrospect, last year was just so overwhelming. I can't have that again.

All I can think about this horrific last eight months is that it's my "Jesus Year" - I'm 33. Maybe all of this together moves me toward the big spiritual transformation, the life shift, the new learning, etc., etc. Yeah, well, great. Fabulous. Also, I cannot wait till New Year's Eve...I usually am not much for New Year's, but I can tell you that I am going to say a very conscious and celebratory goodbye to this year, that night.

8 comments:

PG said...

I don't know what to say. This has an utterly shitty series of bad events. I wish there were something I could do to help. I can knit you a scarf. I know it's warm out - but that's about the only thing I can make. Or, what about some produce bags? These ones. I would usually bake something or encourage some sort of alcohol consumption, but I don't think baked goods would last the transport and it's probably not wise to encourage the consumption of alcohol to "fix" a problem.

So - you name it...I'll try to do my bit to turn your luck around.

medieval woman said...

Oh, babe - that so sucks! I'm so hoping that things look up soon - ANTS??!! WTF? When do you head back to Scary City? I hope the last week is sort of relaxing and you can get your wind back a little before term starts.

(((H)))

Hilaire said...

Psychgrad - That's so sweet! You are a darling. But you, my friend, have too much on your own plate right now! I don't need anything - your wishes make me smile.

MW - Oh, I meant I'm back in Scary City!! I'm a bit jet lagged and daft. I hope for a happy week, too.

Sisyphus said...

Oh no!

May your end-of-summer start looking up and may your fall term _not_ have any more of these mishaps!

Anonymous said...

Oh no, ants. Let's think of school years and hope that 2008-2009 goes better! Also I hope that someone local to you in Scary City brings you baked goods. (I also just made some cookies yesterday, but mailing them to you probably wouldn't be a good idea!)

Marcelle Proust said...

Je t’emmenes “la majesté du gâteau au chocolat, entouré d’un cercle d’assiettes à petits fours.”

Anonymous said...

How is Diamond the Cat?
Hope she's well and happy to have you home.

Hilaire said...

Thanks, all. Thanks for the lovely words, Marcelle.

Anon - Diamond is doing very well. She was very pleased to see me, and rolled around for quite a while. And purred a lot. And curled up in my lap. I hadn't seen her yet when I wrote that last post. Seeing her definitely made things feel better!